Switch up your summertime burger routine with these Jamaican-inspired chicken burgers. These burgers are an easy way to experience all the flavors of classic jerk chicken without having to wait overnight for the chicken to marinate.
If you’re a heat seeker and love spicy food, you can use two Scotch bonnet peppers in this recipe (veins and seeds removed). If you don’t want it to be that spicy, just use one pepper. The yogurt sauce and the cabbage slaw can help balance the heat and cool the mouth.
If you don’t feel like using the grill, you can also make this on a grill pan or in a cast-iron skillet.
Jerk Chicken Burger by Food 52
Ingredients for the Burgers
- 1 to 2 rough;y chopped scotch bonnet peppers, seeds removed
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 teaspoons of fresh ginger, peeled & finely chopped
- 2 small roughly chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons of low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 2 teaspoons of lime zest
- 2 teaspoons of orange zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons of dark brown sugar
- 1 dried crumbled bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons of ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup of panko bread crumbs, plus more, if necessary
- 1 1/4 pounds of ground chicken
For the Toppings and the Buns
- 2 cups of shredded red or green cabbage
- 1 medium grated carrot
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of labneh, or full-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons of lime zest
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped green onions
- 4 good burger buns, toasted
- Put all the burger ingredients, except for the ground chicken and the breadcrumbs, in a food processor. Blend them until it turns into a fine paste, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Place the jerk mixture into a large bowl and add the ground chicken and the breadcrumbs. Mix until it is combined (if you are using your hands to mix the burgers, make sure that you wear gloves or wash your hands well right after mixing). If the mixture is still too wet, add more breadcrumbs little by little until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Refrigerate the jerk chicken burger mixture between 30 minutes and an hour inside the fridge.
- While the chicken is marinating, preheat the grill for about about 30 to 40 minutes before you want to cook your burger.
- Take out the chicken from the refrigerator 10 minutes before you want to cook them and let the mixture reach room temperature.
- Split the burger mixture into 4 equal parts and form it into patties. Grill them on medium-high heat until the internal temperature approaches 160°F, about 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- Place the cooked burgers to a plate, loosely cover with aluminum foil, and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the toppings. For the cabbage slaw, give the cabbage and carrots a nice toss in a medium bowl with one tablespoon lime juice and the extra virgin olive oil. Season them with salt and pepper to taste.
- For the yogurt sauce, combine the labneh or Greek Yogurt, cilantro, green onions, remaining tablespoon of lime juice, and lime zest in a small bowl and season them with salt, to taste.
- To assemble, cover both sides of the bun with the herbed yogurt sauce. Put the burger on the bottom half of the bun and top with an ample amount of the cabbage slaw and finish with the top bun.
Jerk Chicken Burger by BBC Good Food
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- few thyme sprigs leaves picked
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp jerk seasoning
- juice 1 lime
- 2 large bread rolls
- ½ small mango, stoned, peeled, and sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 Little Gem lettuce heart, shredded
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise and ketchup, to serve (optional)
- Place the chicken breasts in between pieces of cling film and flatten them with a rolling pin.
- Combine the thyme, oil, jerk seasoning, and half the lime juice in a bowl. Add in the chicken and leave it to marinate for 5 mins.
- Preheat a griddle pan and cook the chicken for 4-5 mins each side or until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the heat. Meanwhile, toast the sliced sides of the buns for 1-2 mins.
- Place the chicken on the buns and top it with the mango, tomato, and a handful of lettuce. Squeeze over the rest of the lime and top it with mayo and ketchup, if you prefer.
Jerk Chicken Burger with Monterey Jack Cheese by Saputo.ca
- 4 small chicken breasts
- 4 hamburger buns
- 8 slices of Saputo Monterey Jack Cheese Slices
- Lettuce (optional)
For the Coleslaw
- 125 ml or 1/2 cup of chopped purple cabbage
- 1 pitted and sliced peach
- ½ sliced red onion
- ½ thinly sliced jalapeño(optional)
- Juice from half a lime
- 5 ml or 1 tsp. of sugar
For the Marinade
- ½ minced onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 chopped green onions
- 5 ml or 1 tsp. of grated fresh ginger
- 45 ml or 3 tbsp. of brown sugar
- 5 ml or 1 tsp. of cinnamon
- 5 ml or 1 tsp. of allspice Jamaican pepper
- 5 ml or 1 tsp. of dried thyme
- 80 ml or 1/3 cup of soy sauce
- Juice from 1 whole orange and the zest from half an orange
- 60 ml or 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Preheat and oil the BBQ sauce.
- In a large bowl, place all the ingredients for the marinade. Add in the chicken breasts and marinate them for up to 24 hours.
- Cook the chicken on the BBQ sauce over medium heat, for approximately 6 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, make the coleslaw. In a bowl, add in the cabbage, peach, onions, jalapeño, lime juice, and sugar.
- Top the buns with the Saputo Monterey Jack cheese slices and heat it, if desired. Garnish it with lettuce, grilled chicken, and coleslaw.
Jerk Chicken Burger and Charred Pineapple by HelloFresh.ca
- 2 units of Chicken Breasts
- 2 units of Artisan Bun(ContainsWheat/Blé)
- 190 g of Pineapple, spears
- 340 g of Sweet Potato
- 1 tbsp of Jerk Spice Blend
- 1 unit of Lime
- 80 g of Roma Tomato
- 2 units of Green Onions
- ¼ cup of Mayonnaise(ContainsEgg/Oeuf, Sulphites/Sulfite, Mustard/Moutarde)
- 7 g of Cilantro
- 2.5 tbsp of Oil
- ¼ tsp of Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Wash and dry all ingredients.
- Slice potatoes into 1/4-inch thick wedges. Toss the sweet potatoes, 1 tsp of Jerk Spice Blend, and 1 tbsp of oil on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Season it with salt and pepper.
- Place it in the middle of the oven, flip halfway through, until golden-brown (about 22-24 minutes).
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, cut the tomato into 1/4-inch slices. Thinly slice the green onions. Add the zest and juice of half the lime. Cut the remaining lime into wedges.
- Pick the cilantro leaves from the stems, then finely chop the stems. Keep the leaves and stems separate.
- Cut the pineapple into 1/2-inch slices.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels then carefully slice it into the center parallel to the cutting board, leaving 1-inch intact on the other end.
- Split the chicken like a book. Sprinkle over the remaining Jerk Spice Blend, then season it with salt and pepper. Set it aside.
- Preheat a large non-stick pan over high heat. When it is already hot, add 1/2 tbsp of oil, then pineapple. Season it with salt and pepper. Cook it while stirring occasionally until it turns lightly browned for 4-5 min.
- Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the pineapple to a plate. Set it aside.
- Set the same pan to medium heat. When it is already hot, add 1 tbsp of oil and the chicken. Cook it until golden-brown and cooked through for about 5-7 min per each side.
- Meanwhile, stir together the mayo, lime zest, cilantro stems, green onions, and 2 tsp of lime juice in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Split the buns in half then place them on another baking sheet, cut-side up. Toast the buns on top of the oven, until golden-brown for 2-3 min.
- Spread 1 tbsp of aioli over each top bun. Place the chicken, pineapple, tomato, cilantro leaves, and top buns.
- Serve with sweet potato wedges and aioli dip. Squeeze over a lime wedge, for better taste.
Jamaican Jerk Chicken Burger by Honey Chicken
- 6 × 120g of chicken thigh fillets
- 2 tablespoons of jerk spice mix
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 6 pineapple rings (tinned pineapple)
- 6 burger buns
- ¼ cup of aioli
- ½ teaspoons of paprika
- 3 cups of rocket
- 12 slices of tomato
- 2 sliced gherkins
- 6 tablespoons of jerk sauce
For the Jerk Sauce
- ¼ cup of sweet soy sauce
- ½ cup of orange juice
- 1 tablespoon of allspice powder
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of chopped thyme
- ¼ cup of tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon of crushed garlic
- To make the jerk sauce, combine all the ingredients into a microwave-proof bowl and mix it well to incorporate all ingredients.
- Set the microwave on high for 5 minutes. Stir it well and allow it to cool.
- For burgers, preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a bowl, add in the chicken with olive oil and jerk spice mix. Mix well and place them on an oven tray and bake for 25 minutes or until cooked.
- In a bowl, combine the aioli and paprika and give it a nice mix. Set it aside.
- In a hot pan, put 6 pineapple rings. When golden, turn to color the other side.
- Slice the burger bun in half and put it in the oven for 3 minutes or until warm.
- To assemble, spread 1 tablespoon of paprika aioli on the bottom of the brioche bun and add some rocket. Top it with 2 tomato slices and a slice of gherkin. Add the jerk chicken then top it with the grilled pineapple.
- Put a tablespoon of jerk sauce on the top side of the bun and then place it on top of the pineapple.
- Enjoy this delightful jerk chicken burger dish with your family and friends while hot.
Jamaican Jerk Burger by Simply Recipes
- 2 teaspoons of white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp of water
- 1/2 minced Scotch bonnet or habanero chili pepper, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup of chopped green onion, including greens
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp of fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon of ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef, at least 16% fat
For the Coleslaw
- 2 cups of shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup of chopped red onion
- Pinch of chopped thyme
- 3 Tbsp of mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp of orange juice or lime juice (if using lime juice, just add a teaspoon of sugar)
- 1 teaspoon of grated orange or lime zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Make the jerk mixture: In a food processor, combine the vinegar, water, chili, green onion, garlic, thyme, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, molasses, 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Pulse until they are finely chopped. If you do not have a food processor, just finely mince the chili, garlic, and green onion then mix the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Prepare the patties: With your hands, gently mix the jerk mixture with the ground beef in a large bowl until the ingredients are finely incorporated.
- Form into patties, about 1/2 inch thick and wider than the diameter of your hamburger bun.
- Chill the patties for about 30 minutes or until it is ready to be cooked. Remember to wear gloves while handling the jerk seasoning or thoroughly wash hands with soap and water right after handling.
- Make the coleslaw in a medium bowl by mixing the cabbage, red onion, thyme, mayonnaise, citrus juice, zest, salt, and pepper.
- Grill the jerk burgers by preparing the gas or charcoal grill for cooking over high direct heat. Put the patties on the clean, well-oiled grill grate. Grill the burgers for about 5 minutes for each side. Avoid pressing down the burgers while cooking. If you don’t have a grill, you can simply use a grill pan or a cast-iron frying pan.
- Serve the burgers topped with coleslaw, with or without hamburger buns
The Crunchiest Jerk Chicken Burger by Drizzle and Dip
Ingredients for the Jerk Marinade Mix
- 1 tsp of allspice
- ¼ tsp of cinnamon
- ¼ tsp of nutmeg
- 4-5cm of minced fresh ginger
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 4 crushed cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp of soy
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp of demerara or dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp of finely chopped olive oil 1/2 shallot, or a ¼ onion
- ½ – 1 jalapeno of finely chopped
- ½ tsp of salt
For the Breading
- Seasoned flour to dust the chicken breasts in (about 1 cup)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 ½ – 2 cups of panko breadcrumbs
You’ll also need
- Sunflower oil for frying
- As many rolls as you prefer
- Lettuce, sliced tomato, and sliced red onion
- Prepare the night before or allow it to marinate for at least 6 hours. Put all the jerk chicken marinade ingredients into a bowl and mix.
- Cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally and flatten with the palm of your hand or gently beat it with a meat mallet. Place these in a large Ziploc bag.
- Pour over the marinade and massage to ensure they are well covered. Store in a container inside the fridge.
- Remove it from the fridge for about half an hour before you prepare the burgers. This can help thaw the meat a little bit.
- Make all your burger buns sliced, toasted, and ready.
- Have the lettuce and tomato cut and then set it aside. Have a jar of mayo open and ready to spread. And then have a tray arranged with a few sheets of paper towel on standby.
- Remove each chicken piece out of the bag and shake it to remove any marinade particulates (it’s okay if some of the saucy parts stick to the flesh).
- Dust the chicken pieces through the seasoned flour and shake any excess off. Then dunk it in the beaten egg until completely coated (no dry bits allowed), and then drop it into the dish with the panko crumbs and fully coat.
- Fill a wide frying pan with a deep rim to about 5 cm of oil. When it’s sizzling hot, cook the crumbed chicken breasts, 4 at a time in two batches.
- Remove the chicken pieces and drain them on kitchen paper. Make up your burger right away and serve it while the breasts are still crunchy and warm.
Jamaican jerk chicken burgers are savory and cooked with lean ground chicken. Plus, it’s flavored with a homemade jerk seasoning blend.
It only takes just a few minutes to set Jamaican jerk chicken burgers together, and they can be prepared quickly on the grill or top of the stove. You can also serve your chicken burgers on low-carb by serving them on top of your favorite lettuce. Top them with tomato and onions for more oomph!