Are you looking for a new, unique appetizer? Do you want to wow your family with something more complex than the classic chicken wing recipes?
The Jerk Chicken Wing recipes we will share later are easy to make.
The overnight marinade makes them very tender and flavorful. You can even customize them with some added spice for that one friend of yours who can’t get enough heat in their food. Otherwise, you can have a complementing tasty dip instead.
Jerk Chicken Wings are the ideal appetizer. You can marinate it overnight in a homemade jerk sauce with green onions, jalapenos, and spices before baking in the oven.
Just like any recipes for Buffalo Wings, Jerk Chicken Wings are the absolute game day snack that you can whip up for your guests. They’re full of rich, savory flavor, with a smoky kick. This is the perfect supplement to your collection to your appetizer recipes.
Jerk Chicken Wings have a delicious smoky flavor and are satisfying enough to keep everyone happy and full. Prepare these a day ahead and keep them in the fridge overnight so they’re perfectly marinated and ready to bake.
Variations of Jerk Chicken Wings
- Add-ins: Try blending in some finely minced jalapenos to make your Jerk Chicken spicy. You can also try scallions, cilantro, or even chopped garlic cloves.
- Gluten-free: This recipe is already very gluten-free, but it’s always an excellent idea to check the labels on your ingredients to be sure. Soy sauce sometimes has gluten in it, so look for a celiac-friendly bottle when you’re shopping for ingredients.
How Long are Jerk Chicken Wings Good?
- Serve: You shouldn’t leave Jerk Chicken Wings out at room temperature for more than 2 hours. You are required to refrigerate them to keep them for later.
- Store: Jerk Chicken Wings are still good if placed inside the fridge for up to 3 days. For best results, cover the chicken wings with plastic wrap or place them in an airtight container. You should also let the wings cool all the way down to room temperature before you freeze or refrigerate them.
- Freeze: Cooked Jerk Chicken Wings are safe in the freezer for up to 3 months. Have them completely sealed to keep moisture from getting onto the wings.
Jerk Chicken Wing Recipes
These jerk chicken wing recipes are so savory and delicious, it balances sweet, sour, salty, and spicy. It may sound pretty casual, but we’re here to insist not change any of the key ingredients.
Jerk Chicken Wings with Slices of Lime
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- ½ cup green onions, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 habanero peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ⅓ cup lime juice
- 3 pounds chicken wing drumettes
- cooking spray
- Place the green and yellow onions, habanero peppers, garlic, fresh thyme, black pepper, kosher salt, allspice, dried thyme, cinnamon, cumin, vegetable oil, nutmeg, soy sauce, brown sugar, and lime juice in a blender and blend until marinade is smooth.
- Place chicken in a big bowl. Pour the marinade over the chicken and toss to spread fully. Wrap the bowl with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 230 degrees Celsius or 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray it with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken drumettes on your prepared baking sheet and reserve marinade left in the bowl.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Brush 1/2 of the reserved marinade onto the chicken and turn the wings over then bake it for 15 minutes.
- Turn the chicken over and brush the remaining side with the reserved marinade. Bake until tender and caramelized for 10 to 15 minutes more. An instant-read thermometer inserted near the bone should show 165 degrees Fahrenheit or 74 degrees Celsius.
- Rest the wings on a baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a serving platter.
Crispy Grilled Jamaican Jerk Chicken Wings
- 4 lbs of chicken wings, chopped into drumettes and flats
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small white onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- About one ½-inch knob or 1 tsp of grated fresh ginger
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp honey
- Juice of 3 limes (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Place the chicken inside a large resealable plastic bag.
- Stir the onion, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, jalapeno, honey, lime juice, orange juice, salt, pepper, paprika, thyme, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, bay leaves, cayenne, and oil in a medium-sized bowl until fully incorporated before pouring into the resealable bag along with the chicken.
- Firmly seal the bag and put it inside the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the grill to 400˚F before cooking.
- Remove the wings from the marinade and discard the rest. Put the chicken on the grill and cook it for 30-40 minutes.
- Turn the chicken every 10-15 minutes, until the skin becomes crispy and the inside of the chicken reads 165˚F on a meat thermometer.
Oven-Baked Jerk Chicken WIngs
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 6 stalks of chopped green onions
- 3/4 cup of low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup of white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 seeded, deveined, and halved jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 3 pounds of chicken wing drumettes
- cooking spray
- In a food processor, put the green onions, jalapeno, soy sauce, vinegar, vegetable oil, brown sugar, thyme, kosher salt, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice to make a puree.
- Put the chicken in a large ziplock bag with half the marinade and store the rest of the marinade in the refrigerator.
- Marinate the chicken inside the refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit then spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Put the chicken drumettes on your prepared baking sheet and reserve the marinade.
- Bake the chicken drumettes in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Brush 1/2 of the reserved marinade onto the chicken wings and bake for an extra 20 minutes.
- Turn the chicken and brush the rest of the marinade on the chicken and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Caribbean Jerk Chicken Wings
- 2 cups of store-bought mustard-based BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 or 6-ounce of can crushed pineapple
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- Store-bought jerk seasoning
- 18 chicken wings
- Preheat the grill to a medium-high.
- Prepare the sauce by blending all ingredients together in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until heated through.
- Rub the jerk seasoning into chicken wings then grill it for 10 to 12 minutes or until cooked through. Brush generously with sauce and serve.
Baked Jerk Chicken Wings with Homemade Spice Blend
Ingredients for Homemade Spice Blend
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon of onion powder
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of ground ginger spice
- 1 Tablespoon of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground white pepper
- ½ tablespoon of cinnamon spice
- 1 tablespoon of ground allspice
- 1 Tablespoon of smoked paprika
- ½ Tablespoon of ground nutmeg spice
- 2 -3 Tablespoons of coconut sugar replace with brown sugar
- ½ – 1 Tablespoon of vegetable chicken infused with Maggie powder, set to satisfy taste buds
- 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper, hot pepper Chili, pepper flakes, set to satisfy taste buds
- 2 tablespoons of dried green onion flakes (optional) See notes
Preparations for Homemade Spice Blend:
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl or jar and stir so that all the ingredients are well-mixed.
- Put in an airtight container (or zip lock bag) and begin adding to your proteins and vegetables.
Ingredients for the Baked Jerk Chicken Wings:
- 2 1/2 – 3 pounds of chicken wings
- 2-3 Tablespoons of your Homemade Jerk Spice Blend
- 1/2 -2 teaspoons of salt
Preparations for the Baked Jerk Chicken Wings:
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Wash the chicken wings and let it dry out in the fridge for at least three hours.
- Dry the wings with a kitchen towel before placing in a large bowl.
- Pour in the Homemade Spice Blend and drizzle with oil.
- Set a baking pan with foil on the top wire rack of the oven. Place the chicken wings out in a single layer. While the chicken wings are baking, the oil will slowly drop to the bottom of the baking pan.
- Bake wings until cooked through and the skin is crispy for about 45-50 minutes. Flip the wings halfway through.
- Remove from the baking pan and serve with your favorite chicken wing sauce.
Martha Stewart’s Jerk Chicken Wings
- 12 chopped scallions(tops and bottoms trimmed).
- 8 garlic cloves
- 4 dried bay leaves
- 1 habanero or 2 jalapeno chiles, both chopped
- 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of fresh thyme, leaves
- 4 teaspoons of ground allspice
- Coarse of salt and ground pepper
- 6 pounds of chicken wings, cut in half at joint
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a food processor, pulse the scallions, garlic, bay leaves, habanero, vinegar, thyme, allspice, 1 tablespoon salt, and 2 tablespoons pepper until finely ground.
- In a large shallow dish, stir chicken with jerk mixture and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or even up to 1 day).
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Place the chicken on foil-lined rimmed baking sheets and bake until browned for 35 to 40 minutes. And then turn the sheets halfway through.
- Serve with lime wedges.
Caribbean Jerk Chicken Wings by Delish D’Lites
- 3 pounds of chicken wings
- 1 bunch of scallions (about 8 pieces)
- 1 small peeled and quartered red onion or 2 shallots
- 3-6 Scotch bonnet or habanero peppers
- 1/2 inch of chopped ginger
- 6 peeled garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup or 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons of ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of kosher salt. Add some more for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper
- 1/2 cup of vegetable or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons of white or cider vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime
- In a food processor or blender, place all the ingredients (except the chicken wings) to make a puree. This will serve as your jerk seasoning.
- Store the chicken wings into a large ziplock bag and pour the jerk marinade over the chicken. Seal the bag and swish to cover the chicken in jerk seasoning.
- Put inside the refrigerator and marinate for at least 4 hours orovernight.
- Preheat a grill to low heat (you want to cook these low and slow), then place the chicken wings onto the grill.
- Cook over low flame for 25-35 minutes, turning regularly until all sides turn brown. Keep on cooking until the pinkish color in the middle is gone.
Asian Jerk Chicken Wings
Ingredients for the Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoon of finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons of peeled and chopped fresh ginger
- 1 seeded and chopped chile habanero, serrano, jalapeno, or bird’s eye depending on the preferred heat level
- ¼ cup of rice vinegar
- ¼ cup of tamari gluten-free soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- ¼ teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon of brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon of store-bought jerk spices or make your own using the following: allspice dried thyme, dried parsley, cinnamon, nutmeg, onion powder, salt, pepper
Preparation for the Vinaigrette:
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Store it in the fridge until ready to use.
Ingredients for the Asian Jerk Chicken Wings:
- 2 lbs of small chicken drumettes
- 3 cups of buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- Peanut oil or Canola oil
Preparation for the Asian Jerk Chicken Wings:
- Place the chicken, buttermilk, and basil in a large ziplock bag then store inside the fridge for 2-4 hours.
- Set up a steamer on the stove and add an adequate amount of water.
- Drain the chicken and wash the buttermilk brine off.
- Set the heat on to medium. After about 5 minutes, add the chicken and then close with the lid leaving it just slightly ajar.
- Steam the chicken for 20-25 minutes then extract the chicken and let it cool. Refrigerate the wings for at least two hours or overnight.
- When ready to fry, take out the chicken from the fridge and allow it to reach room temperature.
- Prepare a deep fryer or skillet for frying. Fry the chicken at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until the skin turns brown and crisp (about 5-6 minutes).
- Remove and drain the chicken on a paper-lined plate or wired baking rack.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl and toss it in the vinaigrette.
- Serve with fresh cilantro or parsley
Ultimate Jamaican Jerk Chicken Wings
- 5 lbs of chicken wings
- 2 limes
- 3-5 scallions
- 1/4 cup of orange juice
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of dark soy sauce
- 1-2 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 thick slices of ginger
- 1 teaspoon of allspice (add 8 berries)
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 10 sprigs of thyme
- 3/4 lb wood chips with tin foil and allspice berries (for the smoke pouch)
- Chop the garlic, onion, scallions, and scotch bonnet peppers then mix them all in your blender or food processor. Remember to wear gloves when touching the scotch bonnet peppers and wash your hands with soap and water right afterwards. You can also remove the seeds if you want to limit the heat a bit.
- Add the lime juice into the food processor along with everything else (except the chicken wings and stuff for the smoke pouch).
- Pour the marinade you made over the chicken wings (you can use a large zipper bag). Give it a good mix and store the fridge overnight. Feel free to give it a mix if you remember it during the night.
- Take out the wings from the fridge about 30 minutes before you’re ready to grill.
- With tin foil, form a pouch with the wood and pimento berries. Seal and poke the foil with a fork so you’ll have some holes for the smoke to escape and perfume the grill.
- Bake the chicken for about 35 minutes. Remember to turn them around so they cook evenly. To help them develop some color, fully cook over direct heat.
- Transfer then serve.
Jerk Chicken Wings Faqs
- What is jerk seasoning made of? Customarily chiles, cinnamon, garlic, Scotch bonnet peppers, nutmeg, allspice, and thyme. But there are a lot of varieties.
- Is Jerk Chicken spicy? “Jerk” relates to a cooking style, where meat is marinated and cooked in a mixture of jerk spices. It can be as spicy as you want.
- Are Cajun and Jerk seasoning the same? No, there are key contrasts in texture and flavor. Jerk seasoning is Jamaican and is normally a paste. Creole seasonings evolved from French colonists and are usually a powder.